1. 26-year-old artist Matt Starr has a vision for the next big thing in fashion: Babycore.
2. Babycore aims to inspire people to wear adult-sized versions of the clothes we wore as kids.
3. The idea came to Starr when his mother threatened to throw out his old Gymboree clothes.
4. “Seeing that made me really sad,” Starr says. “I saw the clothes and couldn’t stop thinking about how badly I wish they still made clothes like these.”
5. That’s when Starr commissioned a new version of his favorite childhood sweatshirt:
6. It wasn’t long before there were more kid-inspired tops…
8. …and even pants.
9. Babycore doesn’t end with clothes, however. Starr also makes Babycore food.
These baby-sized jars hold adult-friendly smoothies.
10. There are also plans to open a series of Gymboree-style playrooms for adults.
“The adult playroom will replace bottles of apple juice and jars of baby food with fresh pressed juice, smoothies and acai bowls… I can’t say too much more now, but there will also be lots of toys and inflatables.”
11. Starr says that while Babycore initially comes across like a fashion trend, it’s more important to understand it’s an attitude.
“I want people to embrace the essence of childhood and experience the total security that comes with not knowing — and not caring — what other people think,” Starr says.